Hair Transplantation In 10 Questions
People who are experiencing hair loosing prefer hair transplantation method as the most effective way. But they should take a specialist’s opinion before making decision about the operation.
Who can have hair transplantation operation?
Hair transplantation method can be applied to everyone who experience male type hair loosing. Male type hair loosing develops with the aid of testosterone for males who are genetically susceptible to hair loosing. Cells which produce hair and which are located around hair follicle, die in time because of this hormone. So hair becomes weak first and then its growth stops, in the end it starts to fall. For this kind of patients, hair transplantation method is the most definite and permanent treatment way.
Is there a specific age limit for hair transplantation?
Type of hair loosing rather than age is the determinant factor for the operation. If skin can be seen when looking at with naked eye, hair density of the area is lower than half of normal hair density. In this case, the most effective treatment is hair transplantation method.
Where the importance of age factor comes from in this treatment?
The most important age factor in transplantation method, whether hair loosing is completed or not. Male type hair loosing lasts all life long, and besides this after 39 or 40 ages speed of loosing gets slower. Accordingly, for patients who are younger than 39 or 40, hair loosing process may continue and they may need second or third séances.
How much time the hair transplantation process takes?
Hair transplantation lasts 3 or 5 hours. If patient does not want his business and social environment to know the operation, he will need approximately 15 days. If he doesn’t care about it, he can continue his daily life in 2 days.
When the patient will have his new hairs?
After the operation, some red scabs appear on the transplantation area. Patient prevents these scabs by washing his hair once or twice in a day. In 7 or 10 days, these scabs are completely removed and then transplantation area recovers completely. The transplanted hairs are removed together with these scabs. So in 15 days or 1 month patient looks like as if he never had an operation like that. Later, no change will appear in patient’s appearance during three months. New hairs start to grow after 3 months. The biggest change in patient is seen in the fifth or in the sixth months. In later periods, a 10% change occurs every month. And 90 % of the transplanted hairs grow in the ninth month. And the rest 10% of the hairs continue to grow until 1 year. Outcomes of the transplantation process are obtained I one year.
Are there any disadvantages of transplantation process for the patient?
This operation is performed under local anaesthesia and it has no risks. And after the operation any side effects which affect human health have not occurred until today.
Can hair transplantation be applied more than one?
Hair transplantation method may require several séances according to width of the bald area and continuation of hair loosing.
Can appearance of new hairs be controlled?
Outcomes of the transplantation are completely depended on the technique. Size and direction of grefts used in transplantation process, determines the result. If grefts are located appropriately with natural shape of hair which is called as follicular unit, transplantation process produces quite natural results.
What are the new techniques applied in transplantation method?
The newest technique about this situation is FUE; that is follicular unit extraction. In this method, hairs are extracted one by one from the donor area with 1 –mm- metal pipes which are produced only for this operation. Any scalps or sutures do not exist in this process. Recovery becomes quite fast.
Will there be any choices in the future which will replace hair transplantation and which will provide more natural appearance for the patient?
Now, the most effective treatment way for male type hair loosing is hair transplantation. Studies about hair cloning have been continuing; but no results have been obtained, yet. If these studies become successful, a few hair follicles extracted from hairy skin can be multiplied in laboratory and hair will be transplanted without any limitations.